Apply to the PhD Program
We review applications on an ongoing basis.
Priority review is given to students who apply by:
February 1 for Fall admittance
August 1 for Spring admittance
December 1 for Summer admittance
Minimum Requirements to Apply
- Master’s degree is required; minimum GPA = 3.50. Master’s degree may be in any discipline.
- Completion of the GRE is required (no minimum scores required).
- An English proficiency test is required for international applications (TOEFL). See https://international.unm.edu/ for additional information.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Three letters of recommendation are required, all of which must be submitted through the online application system. Letters should reflect the student’s past research and academic experiences, especially as they relate to the completion of a PhD in Communication Sciences and Disorders.
- Academic writing sample
- Letter of intent
- Unofficial GRE scores
- On the UNM graduate application site, upload unofficial GRE scores.
- Unofficial Transcripts
- On the UNM graduate application site, upload unofficial transcripts from all colleges or universities where you took speech and hearing sciences or communication sciences disorders course work.
- Official transcripts
- Mail official transcripts in SEALED envelope to UNM Office of Admissions, PO Box 4895, Albuquerque, NM 87196-4895 OR If your institution allows you to directly send official transcripts electronically, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional requirements for financial supports
- To be considered for ANY form of departmental financial aid, applicants must complete and upload the SHS department's financial aid form and complete a FAFSA.
Who to contact with Questions:
- Cathy Binger email@example.com with questions about admissions requirements or the content of your application
- Carolyn Souther firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about transcripts or whether items have been received
- For technical/system difficulties: use the “Technical Support” link at the bottom of the UNM Graduate application site