University of New Mexico
UNMSLHC OBSERVATION POLICY
The security and privacy of clinical records is protected by professional ethics (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association) and federal legislation (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act). The Speech and Hearing Center is bound by ethics and law to adhere to HIPAA Policies and Practices.
- The UNM Speech-Language and Hearing Center (UNMSLHC) is a training program for students majoring in Speech and Hearing Sciences (SHS).
- Observation of clinical services by students is part of the teaching-learning process and is a component of the operations of the UNM Speech-Language and Hearing Center.
- Students who engage in observation of services will complete HIPAA training.
- Students will submit a certificate of completion of HIPAA training to the department’s administrative assistant.
- Sanctions for violation for HIPAA Policies and Practices are described in the general HIPAA Policy statement.
- Reporting of information loss is to be filed using the department's incident report/information loss form.
UNM Speech-Language-Hearing Center (UNMSLHC) observations will be offered to currently enrolled SHS undergraduate students, non-degree, and graduate students. Observations will be offered each semester beginning the 4th week of clinic in the Fall and Spring, and the 2nd week of clinic in the Summer. All documentation will be received and tracked by the SHS Administrative Assistant at the front desk.
UNM undergraduate students may obtain observation hours in the UNMSLHC or off-site if the observation is a required assignment of the course, and the observation hours are approved by a certified Speech-Language Pathologist. Students are to document observation hours on the UNM Speech and Hearing Sciences observation form. Students are to consult with their instructor regarding procedures
OFF-SITE AGENCY OBSERVATIONS
UNM students (undergraduate or graduate) may obtain observation hours at various off-site agencies. Students are to contact the agencies regarding procedures and assure that the hours are being supervised by an ASHA certified Speech-Language Pathologist who has 2 hours training as a student supervisor and at least 9 months experience post Clinical Fellowship. Students are to document observation hours on the UNM Speech and Hearing Sciences observation form.
ON-LINE OBSERVATION HOURS
UNM students are allowed up to 10 hours of on-line recorded (or asynchronous) observations towards the required 25-hour limit. The observations are to be guided, that is, part of an assignment and/or with questions associated with the observation, and signed off by a certified and licensed Speech-Language Pathologist. These hours may be obtained at the undergraduate level, as part of a course, or at the graduate level through Master Clinician’s Network (MCN). Procedures on obtaining observation hours on MCN are found at the end of this document under “Observation Procedures.” Students are to document on-line observations using the UNM Speech and Hearing Sciences observation form.
Students may also receive on-line observations through telepractice. Given that telepractice sessions are synchronous (live and real time) they are considered comparable to a face-to-face in person observation session.
UNMSLHC OBSERVATION PROCEDURES
1) Students report to the SHS front desk and present their current UNM Lobo ID card to obtain the Learning Central registration forms and the “Observer Confidentiality” Form.
Contact info – phone: 505-277-4453 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Students will register to complete the “Health Insurance Portability and Accountability (HIPAA) Security Training” and the “Speech-Hearing Supervised Observation in Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology” orientation on-line through UNM Learning Central.
In order to register for Learning Central, students must fill out an “Affiliate Date Entry Request” form. (See below for specific instructions).
- Students are to complete the “Affiliate Data Entry Request” forms by following these instructions:
To complete the “Affiliate Data Entry Request” form:
- Write your name on the line that says “Affiliate.”
- Write your Banner ID number.
- SHS Administrative Assistant will fill out the rest of the form.
b. Once the form is complete, turn into SHS Administrative Assistant for copy, signature and delivery to Employment and Opportunity Development (EOD) office, located in the UNM Business Department.
c. Students are to allow at least 72 hours for EOD to process the request before logging onto Learning Central. Students will receive an email from the SHS Administrative Assistant when they are registered for Learning Central and can take the courses.
3) Students are to complete HIPAA training through Learning Central and turn in certificate of completion.
To access Learning Central:
- Use Internet Explorer to assure certificates can be printed.
- Go to www.unm.edu and search for Learning Central
- Go to Learning Central “Log in”
- Submit your UNM user name and password
Search for “HIPAA Security Training 2016” Learning Module
- Complete the HIPAA Learning Module and Exam. (Please note that the exam is only 1 question and that is whether or not you “agree” to abide by the HIPAA Regulations.)
- Print out the Certificate or Acknowledgement of Completion and make a copy of the Certificate for yourself. Turn the original into the Administrative Assistant.
4) Students are to complete the Observation Orientation training through Learning Central.
Search for “Speech and Hearing Supervised Observation in Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology” Learning Module
- The orientation content includes: 1) observation policy, forms (click here to access observation form) and procedures; 2) professionalism; 3) forms and protocol while observing; 4) HIPAA training as it pertains to the UNMSLHC; 5) observation ASHA clock hour requirements for graduate clinicians; and 6) Master Clinician Network (MCN).
- Complete the exam at the end. Print out the Certificate or Acknowledgement of Completion and make a copy of the Certificate for yourself. Turn the original into the SHS Administrative Assistant.
5) Once the HIPAA and Observation Orientation Trainings are complete, students will report to the Administrative Assistant and complete the following:
- Turn in signed Observer Confidentiality form.
- Turn in HIPAA training certificate.
- Turn in Orientation training certificate.
- Show SHS Administrative Assistant UNM Student ID card.
- Turn in a copy of class schedule to verify enrollment in an SHS class.
6) Once the above is complete students may sign up for observations with the SHS Administrative Assistant, either in person at the SHS Clinic or by phone at 505-277-4453.
7) Use the same observation form for on-line, course, and off-site observations as you do for UNMSLHC observations. When going off-site, however, assure that the supervisor has current ASHA certification, otherwise, your observation will not count towards ASHA requirements.
8) Master Clinician Network (MCN) observations (www.masterclinician.org).
- Students may obtain observation hours via Master Clinician Network (MCN). There is a student fee, payable to MCN, to join.
- Graduate students (only) are allowed up to 10 hours of observation on MCN towards their 25 ASHA observation hour requirement upon entering graduate school.
Undergraduate and Non-degree Students:
- Undergraduate and non-degree students have the opportunity to complete MCN observations through coursework as directed by a course Instructor. The course Instructor will approve MCN observations.
- Graduate students are allowed to view MCN videos on their own. Once the video observation is complete the student is to provide thoughtful answers to the questions that follow. Student will submit their answers to the Clinic Instructor (CI) listed below and send an email request to the CI to approve the hours in MCN.
Students whose last names begin with:
- A-D Desiree Stone email@example.com
- E-H Mary Hartley firstname.lastname@example.org
- I-L Andrea Fisher Martinez email@example.com
- M-P Lori Nelson firstname.lastname@example.org
- Q-Z Sandra Nettleton email@example.com
- Upon review of the student’s answers, the CI will mark the status as “approved” or “resubmit.” Prior to approval, the status of these hours will be marked as “Pending.”
- Once the observations are approved, students will print out the MCN documentation summary reflecting that observations were completed and approved and turn the documentation into the Administrative Assistant.