Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology
The Master of Science program in the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences at UNM prepares students to become professional speech-language pathologists. Our learning objectives are designed to give students balanced preparation across the scope of practice in our field, so our graduates are well-prepared for the many employment opportunities that are available in this state and nationwide.
The program is accredited in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology by the Council of Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), 2200 Research Blvd., Rockville, MD 20850-3289, telephone 301-296-5700 or 800-498-2071. The program is designed so that students can complete all academic and clinical credentialing requirements of ASHA and of the New Mexico Speech-Language Pathology, Audiology, and Hearing Aid Dispensing Practices board.
The UNM program has a number of distinctive features:
- special focus on multilingual and multicultural issues in service delivery and research
- access to a great diversity of clinical sites and populations
- opportunities for students to be involved in faculty research
- ability to study on a part-time basis
Broad Program Learning Goals for this Degree/Certificate Program
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association’s, Council on Academic Accreditation in speech-language pathology and audiology, accredits the University of New Mexico’s graduate program in speech-language pathology (SLP).
By the completion of the graduate SLP program, graduate students are expected to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills to effectively diagnose an individual with a communication and/or swallowing disorder.
- Exhibit knowledge and skills to effectively formulate an intervention plan for an individual with a communication and/or swallowing disorder.
- Develop knowledge and skills to effectively incorporate the principles of evidence-based practice (EBP) in clinical service delivery.
For more information on the graduate SLP program, please download the following documents (in pdf format):
- Letter from the Department Chair
- Brochure for Master's Degree Program in Speech-Language Pathology
- Graduate Program Statistics
- SHS Graduate Handbook
- Master's Thesis Guidelines
For information about speech-language pathology and audiology programs throughout the U.S., including further information about UNM’s SLP graduate program, go to: http://www.asha.org/edfind/