University of New Mexico
UNM Speech-Language-Hearing Center (UNMSLHC) observations will be offered to currently enrolled SHS undergraduate students, non-degree, and graduate students. Observations will be offered each semester beginning the 4th week of clinic in the Fall and Spring, and the 3rd week of clinic in the Summer. All documentation will be received and tracked by the Administrative Assistant at the SHS Department front desk.
Students who are enrolled in the SHS 302 Introduction to Communication Disorders and/or SHS 458 Preclinical Training will be following similar procedures to those below. Please consult with the course instructor regarding specifics.
UNMSLHC Observation Procedures:
1) Students report to the SHS front desk and present their current UNM Lobo ID card to obtain the Learning Central registration forms and the “Observer Confidentiality” Form.
2) Students will register to complete the “Health Insurance Portability and Accountability (HIPAA) Security Training” and the “Speech-Hearing Supervised Observation in Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology” orientation on-line through UNM Learning Central at https://learningcentral.health.unm.edu/learning/user/login.
In order to obtain access to Learning Central, students must fill out an “Affiliate Demographic” form and “Affiliate Date Entry Request” form. (See below for specific instructions).
- Students are to complete both the “Affiliate Demographic” and the “Affiliate Data Entry Request” forms by following these instructions:
To complete the “Affiliate Data Entry Request” form:
- Write your name next to “Submitted by.”
- Write your name on the line that says “Affiliate.”
- The “Start date” is the approximate date that you entered the SHS program.
- The “End date” is the approximate date that you will graduate from the program.
- The “Separation date” is also the date that you will graduate from the program.
- (Non-degree students: The “Start date” is the date that you were first enrolled in an SHS class. For the “End and Separation dates” enter the date that is 1 year from the current date.)
- Students do not fill out the bottom section of the form.
b. Students submit completed forms to the SHS Administrative Assistant. The forms will be signed by the SHS Department Chair and delivered by the SHS Administrative Assistant to the Employment and Opportunity Development (EOD) office for processing.
c. Students are to allow at least 48 hours for EOD to process the request before logging onto Learning Central. Students will receive an email from the Administrative Assistant when they are granted access to Learning Central and can take the courses.
3) Students are to complete HIPAA training through Learning Central and turn in certificate of completion.
To access Learning Central:
- Use Internet Explorer to assure certificates can be printed.
- Go to https://learningcentral.health.unm.edu/learning/user/login.do
- Enter your UNM user name and password.
Search for “HIPAA Security Training 2016” Learning Module
- Complete the HIPAA Learning Module and Exam. (Please note that the exam is only 1 question and that is whether or not you “agree” to abide by the HIPAA Regulations.)
- Print out the Certificate or Acknowledgement of Completion and make a copy of the Certificate for yourself. Turn the original into the Administrative Assistant.
4) Students are to complete the “Speech and Hearing Supervised Observation in Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology” orientation training through Learning Central.
The orientation content includes: 1) observation policy, forms (click here to access observation form) and procedures; 2) professionalism; 3) forms and protocol while observing; 4) HIPAA training as it pertains to the UNMSLHC; 5) observation ASHA clock hour requirements for graduate clinicians; and 6) Master Clinician Network (MCN).
Complete the exam at the end. The department will verify completion through the Learning Central website.
5) Once the HIPAA and Observation Orientation Trainings are complete, students will report to the Administrative Assistant to:
- Turn in signed Observer Confidentiality form.
- Turn in HIPAA training certificate.
- Verify enrollment in a SHS class.
6) Once the above is complete students will receive instructions for “Sign Up Genius” (On-line sign up for sessions).
- “Sign-Up Genius” software is used for students to sign up for observation sessions.
- The student will receive an email inviting him/her to sign up for observation sessions.
- Contact the Administrative Assistant (email@example.com) regarding any questions about Sign-Up Genius.
7) Master Clinician Network (MCN) observations (www.masterclinician.org).
- Students may obtain observation hours via Master Clinician Network (MCN). There is a student fee, payable to MCN, to access the network and accrue observation clock hours.
- Graduate students (only) are allowed to accrue a maximum of 10 hours of observation on MCN towards their 25 ASHA observation hour requirement. Remember the 25 observation hours are required upon entrance into graduate school.
Undergraduate and Non-degree Students:
- Undergraduate and non-degree students have the opportunity to complete MCN observations through coursework as directed by a course instructor. The course instructor will approve MCN observations.
- Graduate students are allowed to view MCN videos on their own. Once the video observation is complete the student is to provide thoughtful answers to the questions that follow. Students will submit their answers to a Clinic Instructor (CI) listed below and send an email request to the CI selected to approve the hours in MCN.
Students whose last names begin with:
- A-D Desiree Stone firstname.lastname@example.org
- E-H Mary Hartley email@example.com
- I-L Kate Blaker firstname.lastname@example.org
- M-P Jennifer Hanson email@example.com
- Q-T Sandra Nettleton firstname.lastname@example.org
- U-Z Cindy Simonetti email@example.com
- Upon review of the student’s answers, the CI will mark the status as “approved” or “resubmit.” Prior to approval, the status of these hours will be marked as “Pending.”
- The resubmitted MCN observations will require the student to re-formulate his/her responses to the questions. The student may re-submit the observation for approval to the CI.
- Once the observations are approved, students will print out the MCN documentation summary reflecting that observations were completed and approved and turn the documentation into the Administrative Assistant.