CEU Course: Pulmonary Rehabilitation for the Neck Breather
Start Date: May 03, 2016 - 02:30pm
End Date: May 03, 2016 - 03:30pm
Contact: Phyllis Palmer, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Title: Pulmonary Rehabilitation for the Neck Breather
By attending this program, participants will be able to:
1. Identify the anatomic & physiologic changes after tracheotomy and total laryngectomy.
2. Identify the differences between the various types of neck breathers (i.e. tracheostomy vs. total laryngectomy).
3. Discuss the various changes in tracheal climate and conditioning and their subsequent pulmonary sequelae in these patient populations
4. Name the various heat & moisture exchangers available and their clinical applications
5. Solutions to improve overall pulmonary health and outcomes in this patient population
BRIDGET GUENTHER MS, CCC-SLP, BCS-S
Prior to joining the Atos Medical team in 2016, Bridget dedicated her 13 year career to caring for veterans with head and neck cancer as a Board Certified Swallowing Specialist (BCS-S) and Speech Pathologist in the Department of Otolaryngology at the New Mexico Veterans Affairs Healthcare System (NMAHCS). She was a Lead Telemedicine Clinician and developed a telemedicine program to provide speech pathology services to veterans in rural areas.
She has been an invited speaker at loco-regional conferences and continues to be an invited guest lecturer at the University of New Mexico training graduate students and faculty on voice and swallowing disorders in the head and neck cancer population. Bridget is also an active member of the New Mexico State Speech Pathology, Audiology and Hearing Aid Dispensing Board.